Kindness can be defined as a behaviour that exudes certain positive qualities such as being generous, considerate, and compassionate.
Kindness should however not be confused with being nice. Being nice is when you are polite to people and treat people well. Being kind is when you care about people and show you care. Sometimes you can be kind to someone even though you aren’t nice to them and you can certainly be nice to someone but also be unkind. Also, there can be a lack of sincerity in just being nice whereas, being kind is doing intentional, voluntary acts of kindness not only when it’s easy to be kind, but when it’s hard to be.
When we practice kindness either to other people or towards ourselves we can experience positive mental and physical changes through lowering stress levels and increasing the body’s production of feel-good hormones such as dopamine, oxytocin, and serotonin.
Kindness is also a movement leading to a chain reaction as one small kind of act can cause a ripple effect that impacts an entire community. To be kind is to show love and care to those around you even when it seems not convenient.
As the World Kindness Day marked November 13 approaches, Here are 15 quotes on kindness that will spur you to be the change you wish the see in the world.
1. “Remember there’s no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.” – Scott Adams
2. “Do things for people not because of who they are or what they do in return, but because of who you are.“– Harold S. Kushner
3. “Sometimes it takes only one act of kindness and caring to change a person’s life.” – Jackie Chan
4. “Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness.” – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
5. “Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.” – Princess Diana
6. “Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.” – Henry James
7. “You can accomplish by kindness what you cannot by force.”– Pubilius Syrus
8. “Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom.” – Theodore Isaac Rubin
9. “Unexpected kindness is the most powerful, least costly, and most underrated agent of human change.” – Bob Kerrey
10. “We can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone.” – Ronald Reagan
11. “Kindness makes you the most beautiful person in the world, no matter what you look like.” – Anonymous
12. “Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness.” -Lucius Annaeus Seneca
13. “Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” –Mark Twain
14. “What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness?” – Jean-Jacques Rousseau
15. “Kindness begins with the understanding that we all struggle.” – Charles Glassman